Ask Bob: Snow Tires
by Bob DeP.
A Winter Emergency Kit
How to Buy Snow Tires
Last year, I had snow tires put on my car. I never took the time to have them taken off, so here it is getting close to winter again and I am wondering if my tires will be OK for the winter weather ahead. Is it absolutely necessary to take off snow tires every year? This is hard for me as I have to lift them into my car myself and then the added cost of putting them on and balancing them. I am on disability and is difficult for me to lift anything over 10 pounds, let alone tires. Please advise.
I would not advise leaving snow tires on all year. In some states it is illegal to do that. You see, the problem is that the snow tires do not have good warm weather traction. They are made for gripping snow, not smooth pavement. Actually, they should only be used in the snow. So, if you live in an area where it only snows occasionally, then I would not use them until absolutely needed.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?