Ask Bob: Snow Tires
by Bob DeP.
A Winter Emergency Kit
How to Buy Snow Tires
Last year, I had snow tires put on my car. I never took the time to have them taken off, so here it is getting close to winter again and I am wondering if my tires will be OK for the winter weather ahead. Is it absolutely necessary to take off snow tires every year? This is hard for me as I have to lift them into my car myself and then the added cost of putting them on and balancing them. I am on disability and is difficult for me to lift anything over 10 pounds, let alone tires. Please advise.
I would not advise leaving snow tires on all year. In some states it is illegal to do that. You see, the problem is that the snow tires do not have good warm weather traction. They are made for gripping snow, not smooth pavement. Actually, they should only be used in the snow. So, if you live in an area where it only snows occasionally, then I would not use them until absolutely needed.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.