6 Preventative Maintenance Tasks That Can Save You Time and Money
by Betsy Sullivan
Maintain and Save
Maintain Today, Save Tomorrow
Video: Frugal Home Maintenance
"A stitch in time saves nine" is a wise old saying that I didn't really understand when I was young. I thought it had something to do with taking a stitch in hours or minutes. Now I realize that it means that if you catch something in time, it will save you from having to do more work later. In other words, if you mend a hole when it is small, it will prevent the hole from getting bigger.
A modern term for this concept is 'preventive maintenance'. Listed below are several ways to take a 'stitch in time'.
- Cleaning out gutters can prevent ice dams and costly repairs.
- Routinely cleaning under the refrigerator can prolong its life.
- Changing the oil in a car every 3000 miles keeps your car's engine lasting longer.
- Rotating car tires every 10,000 miles can prolong the life of the tires.
- Cleaning out dryer hoses can increase efficiency and prevent fires.
- Cleaning the sewing machine innards routinely with a small brush can keep it running smoothly.
- Periodically bleeding radiators to make sure heaters are working efficiently can save on fuel bills.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Betsy Sullivan was a CPA for 17 years and writes a free monthly ezine called "Balancing Act" that helps people save money and simplify their lives. . Betsy and her husband Tom also write a free weekly ezine called "Snippets" which is devoted entirely to wise old sayings. To subscribe or view a sample of "Snippets", go to WiseOldSayings.com .
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?