by Betsy Sullivan
Maintain and Save
Maintain Today, Save Tomorrow
Frugal Home Maintenance
"A stitch in time saves nine" is a wise old saying that I didn't really understand when I was young. I thought it had something to do with taking a stitch in hours or minutes. Now I realize that it means that if you catch something in time, it will save you from having to do more work later. In other words, if you mend a hole when it is small, it will prevent the hole from getting bigger.
A modern term for this concept is 'preventive maintenance'. Listed below are several ways to take a 'stitch in time'.
- Cleaning out gutters can prevent ice dams and costly repairs.
- Routinely cleaning under the refrigerator can prolong its life.
- Changing the oil in a car every 3000 miles keeps your car's engine lasting longer.
- Rotating car tires every 10,000 miles can prolong the life of the tires.
- Cleaning out dryer hoses can increase efficiency and prevent fires.
- Cleaning the sewing machine innards routinely with a small brush can keep it running smoothly.
- Periodically bleeding radiators to make sure heaters are working efficiently can save on fuel bills.
Betsy Sullivan was a CPA for 17 years and writes a free monthly ezine called "Balancing Act" that helps people save money and simplify their lives. . Betsy and her husband Tom also write a free weekly ezine called "Snippets" which is devoted entirely to wise old sayings. To subscribe or view a sample of "Snippets", go to WiseOldSayings.com .
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?