Thinking About Diesels
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
What is your opinion of the newer diesel cars? I know the older ones smell terrible. I'm thinking of buying a new VW Jetta diesel. Are they more difficult to repair than others?
We have had one of the newer model Jettas in for a long time now on a long-term evaluation. The car is very clean with or without a catalytic converter. As far as maintenance is concerned, change the oil as you normally would, especially the filters. Diesel oil gets dirty pretty much the moment you start the car. Use quality fuel. The biggest killers of diesel cars is water and sulfur. Both of which are found in poorer grade fuels.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?