Thinking About Diesels
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
What is your opinion of the newer diesel cars? I know the older ones smell terrible. I'm thinking of buying a new VW Jetta diesel. Are they more difficult to repair than others?
We have had one of the newer model Jettas in for a long time now on a long-term evaluation. The car is very clean with or without a catalytic converter. As far as maintenance is concerned, change the oil as you normally would, especially the filters. Diesel oil gets dirty pretty much the moment you start the car. Use quality fuel. The biggest killers of diesel cars is water and sulfur. Both of which are found in poorer grade fuels.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?