Thinking About Diesels
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
What is your opinion of the newer diesel cars? I know the older ones smell terrible. I'm thinking of buying a new VW Jetta diesel. Are they more difficult to repair than others?
We have had one of the newer model Jettas in for a long time now on a long-term evaluation. The car is very clean with or without a catalytic converter. As far as maintenance is concerned, change the oil as you normally would, especially the filters. Diesel oil gets dirty pretty much the moment you start the car. Use quality fuel. The biggest killers of diesel cars is water and sulfur. Both of which are found in poorer grade fuels.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- Top ways to save big oin furniture
- Winning the war against invading ants
- Restoring brass fixtures
- How to keep neighbor dogs from using your yard as an outhouse
- How to revive old yard tools
- Cleaning a greasy driveway
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?