Why Do My Brakes Squeal?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan and we are having problems determining why the breaks are squealing when the brake is applied and there is a grinding noise. My husband has changed one rotor and put new brake pads on the vehicle. We really don't want to spend the money to take it to a shop or the Dodge dealer. Any ideas?
If the rotors look okay and there is sufficient pad left, then it could simply be the noise semi-metallic pads make. Different pad manufactures have different sounds. You may wind up going through several different types before you find one that you like. You see, they use different materials and make the pads to different hardness. That is basically what causes the squealing. In addition, they tune the vibration frequencies (or at least try to) to that outside of our range. But, as the rotor wears down, this frequency level also changes. As for your grinding, again check to make sure that the pads are installed correctly and that there is sufficient pad left (no metal to metal contact).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?