Why Do My Brakes Squeal?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan and we are having problems determining why the breaks are squealing when the brake is applied and there is a grinding noise. My husband has changed one rotor and put new brake pads on the vehicle. We really don't want to spend the money to take it to a shop or the Dodge dealer. Any ideas?
If the rotors look okay and there is sufficient pad left, then it could simply be the noise semi-metallic pads make. Different pad manufactures have different sounds. You may wind up going through several different types before you find one that you like. You see, they use different materials and make the pads to different hardness. That is basically what causes the squealing. In addition, they tune the vibration frequencies (or at least try to) to that outside of our range. But, as the rotor wears down, this frequency level also changes. As for your grinding, again check to make sure that the pads are installed correctly and that there is sufficient pad left (no metal to metal contact).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?