by Angie Zalewski
The Successful School Lunch
Pack a School Lunch with Punch the Obento Way
Need a little pizzazz in the ol' school lunch box? Or even a fun surprise for your spouse's lunch sack? Try a Spider Sandwich!
Take two pieces of bread and punch out a circle with a cup. Spread peanut butter in between the slices and add 8 pretzel stick legs. I usually use four regular sticks and snap them in half. Complete the sandwich with two raisins or chocolate chips for eyes. To accompany the spider theme, draw a spider's web on a white disposable napkin.
The first time my son, Timothy took this sandwich to school, it was the rave of the lunch table! Apparently news traveled quickly because I had a Mom contact me later for the "recipe." In fact, at the beckoning of the class, I made 18 mini-spider sandwiches with web napkins and brought them to school for a class snack. The compliments I received launched me into a brief phase of animal sandwich mania.
For several weeks, I experimented with peanut butter, bread, and pretzels to see how many different animal sandwiches I could create. Three of my kids' favorites were: Porcupine Sandwich-a circle sandwich with several pretzels sticking straight up from the top; Mouse Sandwich-a tear-drop shaped sandwich with pretzel whiskers and a curve pretzel tail; and Pig Sandwich-a circle sandwich with a small marshmallow slice for a snout, raisins for eyes, and pretzel stick triangles for ears. I send these in Tupperware-type containers rather than plastic bags to preserve their shape.
Cool lunches don't have to be expensive. A little creativity goes a long way in making a frugal lunch the highlight of the day!
Angie Zalewski and Deana Ricks are co-founders of the Frugal Family Network, Inc. They produce a popular thrift newsletter to help people live contentedly within their means and present workshops on stretching the family dollar. Copyright 2000, Frugal Family Network, Inc. Reprinted with permission.
Take the Next Step
Trending on TDS
- Raising money for your school, church or non-profit group
- Natural wound care Sponsored Video
- Organic treats for Halloween Giveaway
- Start your summer vacation planning now
- Organizing the disorganized mom
- Frugal ideas for kids' Halloween costumes
- 6 things to consider before taking on the care of elderly parents
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in September
- Teen texting-while-driving cost: No LOL
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator