Preparing your own cake mix will mean more cakes and more money
Homemade Cake Mix
by Patti Chadwick
The Chocolate Theory
Homemade Chocolate Mixes
Pie Baking Tips and Recipes
When is the last time you made a cake from scratch? With so many cake mixes on the market, it is almost unheard of. But here is a homemade cake mix that can be made in a large quantity and stored easily. While it take a little time to make the mix itself, it's worth the effort. It's only a fraction of the cost of store-bought cake mixes and nothing compares to the taste of a homemade cake!
Homemade Cake Mix
- 3-1/3 cups shortening
- 5 tablespoons double-acting baking powder
- 7-2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 11 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Place shortening at room temperature in a large mixing bowl. Cream 1/2 minute with mixer at medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Cream another 1/2 minute at same speed. Add 4 cups sugar, 1 cup at a time. After each addition, cream 1 minute at medium speed. Sift together 3 times, flour, baking powder, salt, and 3-2/3 cups of sugar. Sift last time into a clean mixing bowl. Add 2 cups of sifted ingredients to shortening-sugar. Blend 1/2 minute at medium speed. Turn mixture into dry ingredients. Blend until it looks like cornmeal. Be sure all ingredients are well blended.
To Store Mix:
Measure mix into 6 equal parts. Spoon it lightly into measuring cup. Each part should be 3-1/2 cups. Place each part into a quart glass jar or zip-lock baggies. Cover and store in a cool, dark place; or place in a metal can, cover, and store in a cool place. When stored properly, mix stays fresh for up to a month. For longer shelf-life, store in the freezer.
- 3-1/2 cup cake mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 square cake 8x8x2 inches
- 2 round layer cake pans - 8 inches
- 1 loaf cake - 10x6-1/2x2 inches
- 1 sheet cake - 12x8x1 inches
Place mix into a 2 quart bowl. Make a well in center of mix. Add eggs, vanilla and all the milk to the mixture. Beat mixture 1 minute with electric mixer at low speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl to be sure all ingredients are mixed. Beat 2 minutes longer at same speed. Batter should be smooth and free of lumps.
Pour into desired pans and bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 30 - 40 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back up when pressed lightly in center.
Use 3 medium egg whites instead of whole eggs.
Add to the mix for cake:
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
Add 1 teaspoon grated orange rind to mix and use 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract in place of vanilla.
1. Add 2 extra tablespoons of milk 2. Stir liquid ingredients into mix until just blended 3. Add 2 squares of melted chocolate and blend into mixture 4. Continue mixing batter as directed
Patricia Chadwick is a a freelance writer and has been a stay-at-home mom for 15 years. She is currently a columnist in several online publications as well as editor of two email newsletters. Parents & Teens is a twice monthly newsletter geared to help parents connect with their teens. Subscribe at www.parentsandteens.com or by sending a blank email to email@example.com. History's Women is weekly online magazine highlighting the extraordinary achievements of women. Subscribe at historyswomen.com or by sending a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the Next Step
- Your groceries cost less when you get cash back! Checkout 51 can show you how!
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Visit our "Smart Couponing and Grocery Budgeting" & "Recipes to Fit Any Budget" boards today!
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!