A Winter Emergency Kit
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
Plan for Winter's Worst
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter Driving
3 Timely Tips to Take Care of Your Car in Winter
Hi, I'm Tim. I'm 13 and doing a report for school on winter car safety. I read your article on the internet about how to winterize your car or truck. I would like to know if you could send me information about a winter car safety kit.
Winter car safety kit? How about a winter emergency kit? What I would keep in my car for an emergency in winter is the following:
- jumper cables - batteries tend to lose their charge as the temperature drops
- road side flares - in case you do get stuck, this will help oncoming motorist to see you through the storm
- a blanket - you don't know how long you will be out there
- an extra pair of gloves - cold hands make it hard to work
- lock deicer - can't get home if you can't get into your car
- window ice scraper - can't get home if you can't see where you are going
- a bag of sand - to help get the car unstuck from that patch of ice
- emergency tire chains - in case you MUST drive in a blizzard
- a coffee can and some candles - the heat of a candle will keep you from freezing
- some heat pads made for hunting - to put inside your gloves or shoes or coat
- some sort of cell phone, CB, or emergency calling device
- flash light with fresh batteries
As you can see, this list can go on... and they are not listed in any particular order.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?