courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I was told that I may need to replace the flex plate on my car. What is it and what is it's function? I was looking on Internet and it brought me to transmissions but I never got to see one.
I am on a very limited budget and drive an '85 AMC Eagle which has been trouble free and I would like to prolong her life. I have been doing some repairs in increments, when I can afford them. I would like to find a manual/idiots guide to automotive car, can you suggest one? I been looking for a Chilton's or Haynes but to no avail.
Anita in Anchorage, AK
The flex plate is similar to the flywheel. The difference is that the flex plate is used with an automatic transmission and the flywheel is used on a manual transmission. The flex plate is not as strong and as thick as the flywheel. They both act to transfer power from the engine to the transmission.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- How to clean and restore cast-iron cookware
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Is it cost-effective to make your own laundry detergent?
- Recipes for homemade fabric fresheners
- Inexpensive reupholstery
- Make your own cleaners
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?