Flex Plates

courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man

I was told that I may need to replace the flex plate on my car. What is it and what is it's function? I was looking on Internet and it brought me to transmissions but I never got to see one.

I am on a very limited budget and drive an '85 AMC Eagle which has been trouble free and I would like to prolong her life. I have been doing some repairs in increments, when I can afford them. I would like to find a manual/idiots guide to automotive car, can you suggest one? I been looking for a Chilton's or Haynes but to no avail.
Anita in Anchorage, AK

The flex plate is similar to the flywheel. The difference is that the flex plate is used with an automatic transmission and the flywheel is used on a manual transmission. The flex plate is not as strong and as thick as the flywheel. They both act to transfer power from the engine to the transmission.
Good Luck!
Drive Safely!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man

Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.

Stay Connected with TDS

Subscribe to TDS Newsletters

All subscribers receive Dollar Stretcher member perks!

The Dollar Stretcher
Dollar Stretcher Parents
Dollar Stretcher Tips
After 50 Finances
Surviving Tough Times
Financial Independence
The Computer Lady
Computer Lady Lessons

Join over 250,000 other subscribers
to get your member perks!

Your Email:

View the TDS Privacy Policy.