courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My father and I have a long going argument. He says that while the car is in overdrive you save more gas. I say the opposite, that the car is burning more gas. Maybe you have something that I could email to him proving that I am right If you do I would really appreciate it.
You are suggesting that the car is burning more gas in overdrive? I am sorry, but you are incorrect. Please consider, for the sake of this argument, overdrive to be like a fourth gear. the engine revs at a lower speed while the car goes faster. Overdrive was designed for the simple purpose of saving fuel.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Auto
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- The true cost of not maintaining your car
- 5 DIY tips to save money on auto-body repairs
- 5 ways to avoid overpaying for car repairs
- Replace 5 car parts for better gas mileage