courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My father and I have a long going argument. He says that while the car is in overdrive you save more gas. I say the opposite, that the car is burning more gas. Maybe you have something that I could email to him proving that I am right If you do I would really appreciate it.
You are suggesting that the car is burning more gas in overdrive? I am sorry, but you are incorrect. Please consider, for the sake of this argument, overdrive to be like a fourth gear. the engine revs at a lower speed while the car goes faster. Overdrive was designed for the simple purpose of saving fuel.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 easy DIY car maintenance moves for fall
- 7 secret sales tactics car salesmen hope you don't know
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Are you overpaying? Find a better auto insurance rate .
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators