Frozen Car Doors
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter
A Winter Emergency Kit
I need to know how to open my frozen car door. the snow is coming and I need to do it fast.
How frozen is it? Is it just the lock or is it the entire door? Are both sides frozen? If it is just the lock, take your key, and hold it to a lighter. Heat the key and stick it in the lock. That would help melt the ice. Once you get it open, spray it with WD-40. That will displace any remaining water so it won't freeze again.
If the entire door is frozen shut, then carefully chip away at the ice around the edges. Be careful not to go too deep, remember there is a car under there. You don't want to scratch your paint or something worse. If you still can't get it open, try some windshield washer fluid. That has a little alcohol in it and should help melt the ice.
Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them
If all else fails, try hot water. Pour it over the frozen places to help melt the ice. You gotta be quick though, because you don't want it to re-freeze and make life worse. And you don't want to do it too much because you may melt the wax on the car's surface. Once you melt the ice, you must dry it thoroughly... if you don't, you will be faced with this same situation shortly.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, get all the facts. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
- Are you getting the best rate? You could save on auto insurance with one click. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
Also in Home
- Cleaning the things that clean
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Buying a new furnace
- Recycling 'gray' water
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?