Money Saving Marinades
by Patricia Chadwick
If you've ever gone to the grocery store to buy those tiny little packets of dried marinade mixes, you know how costly they can be. Here are a few inexpensive homemade marinade mixes to use on your beef, chicken, and pork.
- 2-1/2 cups vinegar
- 12 whole cloves
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1-1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoon black pepper
Combine ingredients; let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Add meat and put in the refrigerator. For mild flavor, leave meat in mixture for 24 hours. For tendering action and more flavor, refrigerate in marinate for 2 days. Cook as usual.
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Thoroughly combine all ingredients. Use as a marinade and basting sauce while the meat is cooking. Makes about 2/4 cup of marinade. Great for all meats.
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1/3 cup catsup
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1/ teaspoon mustard
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour over meat to be marinated. Marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator and cook as usual.
Patricia Chadwick is a freelance writer and columnist in several online publications. Visit her websites and sign up for her FREE weekly newsletter at www.historyswomen.com . Patti is also the author of History's Women - The Unsung Heroines.
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What's on sale in October
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Readers share their Halloween costumes Slideshow
- Improve your marriage without expensive counseling
- 10 affordable father-daughter dates
- 10 ways to reduce college costs for your kids
- Top 5 tips for packing a healthier lunchbox
- Money-saving ideas for working moms
- 5 teen bedroom decorating tips
- Pursuing your dream of staying home with your children
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator