Money Saving Marinades
by Patricia Chadwick
If you've ever gone to the grocery store to buy those tiny little packets of dried marinade mixes, you know how costly they can be. Here are a few inexpensive homemade marinade mixes to use on your beef, chicken, and pork.
- 2-1/2 cups vinegar
- 12 whole cloves
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1-1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoon black pepper
Combine ingredients; let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Add meat and put in the refrigerator. For mild flavor, leave meat in mixture for 24 hours. For tendering action and more flavor, refrigerate in marinate for 2 days. Cook as usual.
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Thoroughly combine all ingredients. Use as a marinade and basting sauce while the meat is cooking. Makes about 2/4 cup of marinade. Great for all meats.
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1/3 cup catsup
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1/ teaspoon mustard
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour over meat to be marinated. Marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator and cook as usual.
Patricia Chadwick is a freelance writer and columnist in several online publications. Visit her websites and sign up for her FREE weekly newsletter at www.historyswomen.com . Patti is also the author of History's Women - The Unsung Heroines.
Trending on TDS
- 3 fun party ideas your nearly teen will love
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- 18th birthday party ideas
- Care package ideas for your college student
- Cleaning stuffed anilmals
- How do single successful work-at-home moms do it?
- Making baby homemade food
- 4 tips for enjoying a 'staycation'
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in August
- 8 items to buy at yard sales this summer
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator