Cleaning Fuel Injectors
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently took my car into Jiffy Lube for an oil change. While it was there, they asked me if I would like them to clean the fuel injectors, and since it had never been done before, I said OK.
When they were done, there was the worst smell in the shop than you could ever imagine. My question is, did this cleaning actually accomplish anything (aside from liberating $50 more from my wallet)? Should it be done periodically or is it just a gimmick?
Most of today's cars are engineered to run at low revs. This generally does not clean the combustion system out sufficiently. There are some products on the market that really do a decent job. I would imagine that if they did not have the exhaust pipe hooked up to a collection device you would have noticed a lot of black soot coming out. Assuming that the product actually was working, and they didn't do something else to make the car run in an excessively rich mode, all of that carbon was once inside your engine's combustion chamber (probably not in the fuel injectors).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?