Cleaning Fuel Injectors
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently took my car into Jiffy Lube for an oil change. While it was there, they asked me if I would like them to clean the fuel injectors, and since it had never been done before, I said OK.
When they were done, there was the worst smell in the shop than you could ever imagine. My question is, did this cleaning actually accomplish anything (aside from liberating $50 more from my wallet)? Should it be done periodically or is it just a gimmick?
Most of today's cars are engineered to run at low revs. This generally does not clean the combustion system out sufficiently. There are some products on the market that really do a decent job. I would imagine that if they did not have the exhaust pipe hooked up to a collection device you would have noticed a lot of black soot coming out. Assuming that the product actually was working, and they didn't do something else to make the car run in an excessively rich mode, all of that carbon was once inside your engine's combustion chamber (probably not in the fuel injectors).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?