Secret Source for Grocery Savings
by Bernie Quesada
In my continuing quest to save money on groceries, I stumbled upon this little known source of grocery savings.
While looking for a supermarket near my place of work, I found this little Asian grocery store and decided to venture in. I was intimidated at first, as the signs were in English and Chinese, but I was curious and really needed to pick up some groceries. I was pleasantly surprised! They had fresh produce at great prices and I found everything I needed at this store. No, I was not having Chinese on the menu, but they had all the ingredients nonetheless. This experience has led me to check out other ethnic groceries; here's a list of bargains I found:
Mexican Groceries also known as "Carniceria" for butcher shop or "Marketa" for grocery: --Great deals can be found on meats such as beef, pork and chicken, rice, beans, tortillas, fresh produce.
Asian Markets - I've shopped at Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Cambodian and Vietnamese stores -- Save on fresh produce, noodles, meat and especially fish and seafood. Of course they have the sauces that you can use for many recipes such as soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, hoisin sauce and your basic stir fry sauce. I also found some great deals on orchids, ceramic pots and Hello Kitty gift items.
Italian Markets -- I found great deals on pastries, pasta, meats and sausages, breads, fresh produce and different pasta sauces.
Middle Eastern Markets -- I just discovered these, but I found good deals on fresh produce, olive oil, nuts, fresh breads and pastry.
A few tips when shopping:
- Just as you would for supermarket shopping, bring a list.
- Some stores do not accept checks, so bring cash.
- Don't be intimidated by signs in a foreign language. Most stores have the English translation; if not, ask!
- The larger stores have published specials, usually there are flyers at the door. One larger store had a free membership card and they provided at 10% discount upon joining.
So if you happen to spot an ethnic grocery but have never ventured in, be bold and check it out. You might save some cash and have fun!
Take the Next Step
- Your groceries cost less when you get cash back! Checkout 51 can show you how!
- We are always finding new ways to help you trim food costs. Visit our food & groceries section each week to get tips for keeping more of your hard-earned dollars in your pocket.
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of Are You Heading for Debt Trouble? A Simple Checklist And What You Can Do About It for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!
Money-Saving Tools for Families
Trending This Week
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Is the economy killing fatherhood?
- How much does the Tooth Fairy leave at your house?
- Teaching kids how to do basic home repairs
- Finding new childcare solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips