courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer. Recently the check engine light came on and stayed on. I took it to the local Ford dealer service shop for a diagnostic test. They told me that I needed to replace the spark plugs and plug wires. I took the vehicle to my regular mechanic and had the work done, but the check engine light is still on. Should it have gone off after the problem was fixed? Was it necessary to have the work done by a Ford service center?
The mechanic that did the tune up (or any mechanic for that matter) would have to reset the light. If that was all that was wrong, I think the light will reset within 14 days after the last occurrence of the malfunction. The computer is actually quite smart. It can tell you exactly which plug is not firing correctly. I recently went through this and was amazed when the computer said "misfire cylinder #8". Low and behold, #8 plug was all fouled out and not firing. The problem turned out to be a bad ignition wire.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?