courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer. Recently the check engine light came on and stayed on. I took it to the local Ford dealer service shop for a diagnostic test. They told me that I needed to replace the spark plugs and plug wires. I took the vehicle to my regular mechanic and had the work done, but the check engine light is still on. Should it have gone off after the problem was fixed? Was it necessary to have the work done by a Ford service center?
The mechanic that did the tune up (or any mechanic for that matter) would have to reset the light. If that was all that was wrong, I think the light will reset within 14 days after the last occurrence of the malfunction. The computer is actually quite smart. It can tell you exactly which plug is not firing correctly. I recently went through this and was amazed when the computer said "misfire cylinder #8". Low and behold, #8 plug was all fouled out and not firing. The problem turned out to be a bad ignition wire.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?