by Bob DeP. AskBob@stretcher.com
I have checked my '88 Jetta's brake pads, rotors and brake fluid levels and everything's perfect. When I step on the brake hard, the pedal feels like mush. It goes to the floor and the braking ability is almost nonexistent. I have to pump them in these situations, rather than just stomping on it. My dad said it could be the booster or the master cylinder. They also squeal occasionally. There are no leaks, either. Any ideas?
You have classic signs of a worn or malfunctioning master cylinder. If it was the booster, the pedal would be very hard to push. If it feels like much and goes all the way to the floor, it is the master cylinder (usually). On one occasion, where I had classic symptoms such as yours, the problem turned out to be a leaky rear wheel brake cylinder. So check there first, because wheel cylinders are a whole bunch easier to change than the master!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?