Big Time Oil Leak
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1988 Chevy Corsica. It runs nice and looks good. I took it in for an oil change and have had a big oil leak since. I took it back to Firestone and told them my problem. They said probably the transmission would have to be pulled and some gasket replace and it would cost plenty. I was horrified. I had no leak before the oil change. I asked them what kind of oil they put in and they said I got a Standard Oil Change. My car uses 5W oil. If they put in 10W could this have caused the problem? The oil is not coming from the oil pan but somewhere to the right (looking from underneath) and they say some kind of fluid is mixing in with the oil. I am mad about this and cannot afford to have my transmission pulled. Is there a remedy?
Drowning in Oil
They are giving you a lot of stories huh? Okay, both of their symptoms are separate problems. First, fluid mixing with the oil. That could be antifreeze or engine coolant. If so, then that means head gasket. The second leak that they are pointing out to you could be the rear main seal. However, since there was no leak prior to their work, I would think that it is as simple as some of the old gasket from the old oil filter is stuck on the spout. Would it seem to you that the oil filter is in the same general area as the leak? If so, I would suggest dropping the filter, making sure that the surface is free of all old gasket, and replacing with a fresh filter.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?