Mysterious Option Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Hope you can help my hubby trace down this problem, Bob! He recently replaced the alternator on my 1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z-26. He and my son had no problems at all accomplishing this task.
However, when the car was started again for the first time, two strange things had occurred. One, the heat no longer comes through the floor vents as it's supposed to - the heat is coming through the air conditioning vents now and I have no front windshield defroster at all now!! Secondly, my cruise control has also failed to work ever since replacing the alternator!
Are these problems connected with replacing the alternator, or freak coincidences? Would replacing the switch on the heat/air control correct this problem and again put the heat out through the proper vents and correct the defroster? Or, should he quit scratching his head, admit defeat, and take the car to our mechanic?
You have a loose vacuum supply line. The vent control and the cruise control are all operated by vacuum.
On the side of the car is a little can (sometimes metal like a coffee can, sometimes plastic like a round ball or a football). This is your main vacuum reservoir. Check to make sure all the line going to and from there are okay. Also, check to make sure that the main vacuum take off point (located on the intake manifold) is connected. If all those check out okay, go to the cruise control servo. Find the vacuum supply line and trace it back. Verify all connections until you wind up back at the intake.
It is possible that while they were in there working, they knocked something loose.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?