by Nancy Twigg
Most people understand what creativity is, and have a good idea what it means to be frugal. But the idea of putting the two together is a little hard to grasp. Because creative frugality is one of those things that is easier to show than to tell, here is a quick list of dead giveaways for identifying creative frugality in action.
- It's making something out of little bits of nothing that the average person would have overlooked or just thrown away.
- It's stubbornly refusing to pay full price because you know that if you hold out, the store will have a sale soon.
- It's using your talents, skills and abilities to produce a gift that's priceless because it cannot be purchased in any store.
- It's looking for free or low-cost ways to have just as much fun as if you spent a bundle.
- It's finding unusual ways to make things last longer or go farther so you don't have to spend as often.
- It's making dinner with what you have on hand rather than what the recipe calls for and ending up with a tastier dish than if you'd followed the recipe.
- It's figuring out how you can reproduce some expensive something sold in stores for next to nothing at home.
- It's being happier with extra money in your bank account than a new toy in your garage or entertainment center.
- It's enjoying the thrill of the bargain-hunting chase much more than the instant gratification of just going and buying.
- But most of all, it's understanding that your mind works a little differently than everyone else's and being proud of it!
Nancy Twigg is a Christian speaker and the author of Celebrate Simply: Your Guide to Simpler, More Meaningful Holidays and Special Occasions
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- How to become a millionaire in 7 easy (hah!) steps
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- 10 places to look for $500 in savings
- 9 savvy strategies to save for a rainy-day fund
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 6 ways to get help paying your medical bills
- Getting personal finances in order one day at a time
- Can't find a job? Be your own boss!
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates