by Nancy Twigg
Most people understand what creativity is, and have a good idea what it means to be frugal. But the idea of putting the two together is a little hard to grasp. Because creative frugality is one of those things that is easier to show than to tell, here is a quick list of dead giveaways for identifying creative frugality in action.
- It's making something out of little bits of nothing that the average person would have overlooked or just thrown away.
- It's stubbornly refusing to pay full price because you know that if you hold out, the store will have a sale soon.
- It's using your talents, skills and abilities to produce a gift that's priceless because it cannot be purchased in any store.
- It's looking for free or low-cost ways to have just as much fun as if you spent a bundle.
- It's finding unusual ways to make things last longer or go farther so you don't have to spend as often.
- It's making dinner with what you have on hand rather than what the recipe calls for and ending up with a tastier dish than if you'd followed the recipe.
- It's figuring out how you can reproduce some expensive something sold in stores for next to nothing at home.
- It's being happier with extra money in your bank account than a new toy in your garage or entertainment center.
- It's enjoying the thrill of the bargain-hunting chase much more than the instant gratification of just going and buying.
- But most of all, it's understanding that your mind works a little differently than everyone else's and being proud of it!
Nancy Twigg is a Christian speaker and the author of Celebrate Simply: Your Guide to Simpler, More Meaningful Holidays and Special Occasions
Debt from my past is preventing me from saving for my future! Tell us: Yes, debt is hindering my ability to save and I could use help dealing with it! or No, debt is not a problem but I am trying to get ahead financially!
More Money Tips & Tools
- How to get a faster tax refund
- Personal finance calculators everyone should use
- Why you should know your credit card payment cutoff time
- Saving-money secrets of the rich and frugal
- 5 low-risk ways to earn higher interest now
- How to save money fast
- 7 IRA withdrawals that don't trigger a penalty
- This week's Readers' Tips