courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My husband insists on always using the air conditioning in our 1997 Ford Explorer instead of using the various vents. Even if he wants it warm, he simply turns up the thermostat, but leaves the setting on A/C.
It is my belief that A/C is warranted when it is hot out, but if it is cool outside and simply stuffy in the vehicle, one of the ventilation settings is more appropriate.
What is your opinion? Is using the A/C all the time hard on a vehicle? What are the ramifications, if any.
For one thing, if it is less than 40 degrees outside, the a/c unit is not operating, so his setting is nothing more than using the vents (assuming he does not have it in recirculate mode, in which case, all he is doing is moving the inside air around).
Running the a/c does put extra strain on the engine, but not more than it was designed to handle. In addition, it does use extra fuel. If you were to convince your husband to shut it off, you will notice about 2 mpg better fuel economy.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?