Oil Change Frequency
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We have a 1999 Ford Contour. They recommend oil change at 3,000 miles, then again at 6,000 miles. I thought I read somewhere the second oil change can wait till 10,000 miles. Can we wait till 10,000 or should we change it at 6,000? The car was bought new. We only do local driving so the miles are slow to pile up. We are at 6,300 at present.
Pat, I have gotten into many arguments regarding this issue. My personal advise, and this is not from any oil or auto manufacturer, but coming from a consumer just like you, is that you should change your oil every 3,000 or 4,000 miles (more frequently if the car is a turbo). In your particular situation, the car is a short tripper that is not used very frequently. I would definitely change the oil more often, and I will tell you why.
Moisture will get into the oil from the ambient air. This is a normal occurrence but the moisture usually gets boiled off during normal operation. If the car is seldom used, this moisture will stay in the oil and start to form a sort of acid. This is BAD. I would try to take the car out at least once a month on a nice long drive down the interstate. This will help your situation out a lot.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?