Blicking Oil Pressure Light
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently was given a 1990 Dodge Power Ram 50 3.0 liter V-6 Engine. It was imported for Dodge by Mitsubishi. This is not the original motor in my truck. The other one blew up and was replaced with this one. Now sometimes the oil light will come on. But when I give it the gas it goes off. I have changed the oil sensor, oil, thermostat, antifreeze, and the oil filter.
Can you please help? It is driving me crazy.
This could be a big problem or it could be nothing. I would suggest putting in an actual mechanical oil pressure gauge and see exactly what is going on. If indeed you have low pressure, then the oil pump will need to be changed. Sometimes those silly lights go bonkers and just don't operate correctly. But a mechanical gauge will never lie!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?