More Cheap Tricks
by Leanne Ely
There is nothing like a cheap trick to help straighten out a gal's (or guy's) budget. Even if you aren't necessarily squeezing every penny you own, it's still nice to save when you can.
Here is another list of cheap tricks I have found to be handy:
- I have this habit of driving off, after tanking up my car, with the gas cap on top of the roof. Once I asked the gas station guy if he had seen my cap, he handed me a box of gas caps and though mine wasn't there, I found one that fit and he gave it to me. (not all gas stations will do this, but I sure appreciated it--never hurts to ask, does it?)
- I don't use toilet bowl cleaners. I swish the bowl with the bathroom scrubber thingie and then get rid of most of the water in the toilet bowl by dumping a bunch of water down the toilet, (I use the bathroom wastebasket)and use a little bleach. I make sure the window is open and shut the door and leave. No need inhaling those fumes! Works beautifully.
- If your bananas get a little too ripe, freeze them (skins on) and then: peel them with a knife and throw them in a blender with a little milk, other fruit and some protein powder and you have a quick, power breakfast. Or just let the kids eat them as is (tell them to peel them first!) as a delicious snack--especially in the summer.
- If your household is busy like mine, skip the towel racks in the bathroom and hang big coat hooks or pegs. They are cheaper, more durable and everyone has a place for their own towel. If you want to get really organized, assign everyone a different colored bath towel.
- Those dryer sheets are horrible for your dryer, according to my dryer repair guy, who had to replace a rubber gasket thing in my dryer. He said that those dryer sheets eat them. So now I use all those dryer sheets (cut in half and bought on sale-buy one, get one free) to help me get stuck on food out of my casserole dishes. I fill up the dish with hot, sudsy water and put a half a dryer sheet in and the next morning, it's a snap to clean!
These are all tried-and-true and gathered from tightwads the world around. And to quote a woman not known for her tightwaddery, "It's a good thing."
Leanne's syndicated newspaper column, The Dinner Diva can be found in 250 newspapers nationwide and in Canada. Her vast broadcast experience includes media satellite tours, QVC several times as well as guesting on several national television shows, including HGTV's Simple Solutions, ABC Family's Living the Life, Ivanhoe's Smart Woman, Small Talk for Parents and Talk of the Town. She has guest chef-ed on the cooking show, Carolina Cooks and has taught cooking classes all over the country for Bloomingdale's.
In addition, she is a seasoned radio personality. Leanne's own radio show, Heart of A Woman aired during drive time in two major California markets, Los Angeles and San Diego. Her current show, The Dinner Diva is one of the top Blog Talk Radio shows on the Internet.
On the Internet, she pens the Food for Thought column for the immensely popular, FlyLady.net, with over half a million readers weekly. She has been featured in Woman's Day magazine, the Chicago Tribune, St. Petersburg Times, Orange County Register - to name a few. Additionally, she is a sought after speaker and has spoken all over the country, with keynote addresses to corporate and non-profit entities. SavingDinner.com. Visit Leanne Ely on Google+.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- How to become a millionaire in 7 easy (hah!) steps
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- 10 places to look for $500 in savings
Here are 10 ways to save $500 for when you drive, eat or travel.
- 9 savvy strategies to save for a rainy-day fund
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Helping elderly parents organize must-have financial paperwork and information Expert Interview
- How a single mom can create multiple income streams
- Turning your hobby into extra income
- Basic finance management for teens
- Positioning yourself for career advancement
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates