Repair or Replace My Appliance
courtesy of RepairClinic.com
Here are some questions to consider when deciding whether to replace an appliance.
- How old is the appliance?
- What would a similar appliance cost?
- Are there hidden costs? Removal, Installation? disposal? Tax?
- How difficult is it to replace the appliance? Is it a built-in?
- What energy savings will I get with the new appliance?
- What additional features will I get with the new appliance?
Many people throw away appliances because they don't know a repair person they trust. They are also afraid the repair cost will be so high that they'll wish they had just replaced the appliance.
Because 75% of the cost of repairing an appliance is in the labor and related charges, and only 25% of the cost is in the parts, many people could repair the appliance themselves and save a significant amount of time and hassle.
In general, appliances last between 12 and 14 years. However, many appliances last for over 30 years.
If a repair will cost more than half the cost of a new appliance, and the unit is more than six or seven years old, you should consider replacing it altogether.
For more appliance repair information, go to www.repairclinic.com
RepairClinic.com is a one-stop online shop for appliance repair needs. To find and order parts, the site's PartDetective asks simple questions and provides a list of relevant parts with photos for visual verification. Visitors can also obtain helpful information, such as maintenance tips, troubleshooting and expert advice, from the RepairGuru.
Take the Next Step:
- Check kitchen product reviews at Cheapism.com before making a purchasing decision.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?