Repair or Replace My Appliance
courtesy of RepairClinic.com
Here are some questions to consider when deciding whether to replace an appliance.
- How old is the appliance?
- What would a similar appliance cost?
- Are there hidden costs? Removal, Installation? disposal? Tax?
- How difficult is it to replace the appliance? Is it a built-in?
- What energy savings will I get with the new appliance?
- What additional features will I get with the new appliance?
Many people throw away appliances because they don't know a repair person they trust. They are also afraid the repair cost will be so high that they'll wish they had just replaced the appliance.
Because 75% of the cost of repairing an appliance is in the labor and related charges, and only 25% of the cost is in the parts, many people could repair the appliance themselves and save a significant amount of time and hassle.
In general, appliances last between 12 and 14 years. However, many appliances last for over 30 years.
If a repair will cost more than half the cost of a new appliance, and the unit is more than six or seven years old, you should consider replacing it altogether.
For more appliance repair information, go to www.repairclinic.com
RepairClinic.com is a one-stop online shop for appliance repair needs. To find and order parts, the site's PartDetective asks simple questions and provides a list of relevant parts with photos for visual verification. Visitors can also obtain helpful information, such as maintenance tips, troubleshooting and expert advice, from the RepairGuru.
Take the Next Step:
- Check kitchen product reviews at Cheapism.com before making a purchasing decision.
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?