Where can I purchase polyurethane caulk? It is to be used in a shower stall. I have been using silicon but I have been experiencing mold problems. I understand that does not occur when polyurethane is used.
PW from Schaumburg, IL
I don't believe that there is a polyurethane caulk available specifically for bathroom use. Even manufacturers who produce both acrylic latex caulk and polyurethane do not recommend using polyurethane caulk in bath enclosures. Part of the reason is that polyurethane is not as mildew resistant as the best so-called mildew-proof acrylic latex caulks, manufactured by companies such as MD (Macklanburg-Duncan) and Polyseamseal.
Polyurethane has much more adhesive ability and flexibility or "stretchiness" than either latex or silicone caulks. This is great in some applications, especially exterior joints where there is significant seasonal expansion and contraction. It is not so great in bath enclosures. The stress on the joints in bath applications is not that great, so the additional adhesive strength is essentially overkill! Since you will eventually have to replace any bathroom caulk, the extra adhesive strength may even work against you!
As far as mildew resistance goes, I would choose acrylic latex over silicone caulk any day, especially the "mildew proof" varieties mentioned earlier. This is from personal experience with miles of mildewed caulk!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?