Wacky Warning Light
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager Van with about 85,000 miles on it. Lately the check engine light has been coming on. I have brought it to the garage and after they charge me $59.00 to run diagnostics, they say they could not find anything.
It seems to occur when I am doing hwy driving between 65 and 70 mph. If I don't go this fast, I will get run over!! But if I get to my destination, turn off the car for awhile, then drive again, it goes away (meaning it does not come back on). Any suggestions?
Any time the light comes on, a code is stored in the onboard computer. A code scanner is used to retrieve these codes and inform a technician where the fault is located. If they are not able to retrieve the codes, then either their equipment is faulty or the computer on your car is faulty. Next time the light comes on, do not shut the car off. Rather, take it directly to the dealer and have them retrieve the codes. Good Luck!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?