Wacky Warning Light
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager Van with about 85,000 miles on it. Lately the check engine light has been coming on. I have brought it to the garage and after they charge me $59.00 to run diagnostics, they say they could not find anything.
It seems to occur when I am doing hwy driving between 65 and 70 mph. If I don't go this fast, I will get run over!! But if I get to my destination, turn off the car for awhile, then drive again, it goes away (meaning it does not come back on). Any suggestions?
Any time the light comes on, a code is stored in the onboard computer. A code scanner is used to retrieve these codes and inform a technician where the fault is located. If they are not able to retrieve the codes, then either their equipment is faulty or the computer on your car is faulty. Next time the light comes on, do not shut the car off. Rather, take it directly to the dealer and have them retrieve the codes. Good Luck!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.