Wacky Warning Light
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager Van with about 85,000 miles on it. Lately the check engine light has been coming on. I have brought it to the garage and after they charge me $59.00 to run diagnostics, they say they could not find anything.
It seems to occur when I am doing hwy driving between 65 and 70 mph. If I don't go this fast, I will get run over!! But if I get to my destination, turn off the car for awhile, then drive again, it goes away (meaning it does not come back on). Any suggestions?
Any time the light comes on, a code is stored in the onboard computer. A code scanner is used to retrieve these codes and inform a technician where the fault is located. If they are not able to retrieve the codes, then either their equipment is faulty or the computer on your car is faulty. Next time the light comes on, do not shut the car off. Rather, take it directly to the dealer and have them retrieve the codes. Good Luck!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?