Crockpot Grain Dinner
courtesy Chet's Crock
- 1/4 cup millet, uncooked
- 1/4 cup barley, uncooked
- 1/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped/li>
- 8 oz tomato sauce, salt free or reg
- 1 lb canned tomatoes -- chopped, drained, reserve liq
- 1 1/2 cup corn, canned or frozen drained
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 canned kidney beans, drained or any other beans, drained (This will yield 10 oz of beans)
Combine all ingredients in a crockpot. Add water to reserved tomato liquid to equal 2 1/2 cup. Stir into grain mixture. Cover and cook on low setting 8 hrs. Stir before serving. I just put all the dry ingredients in the crockpot the night before, in the morning all the wet ingredients and turn the crockpot on. By the time dinner rolls around, it is ready. This serves 8 as a side dish and 4-6 as a filling main course. You can use any combination of grains. Just use about 1 cupful altogether -- although I have used more then 1 cupful.
contributed to Chet's Crock by Carole W.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- Get creative in the kitchen and save #TDSPantryChallenge
- 7 ways to keep college costs in check
- Home remedies for common winter ailments
- Buying and selling toys on craigslist
- Hiding debts from your spouse
- Is it possible to stay at home with your kids?
- Homemade cat food
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- January bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- Raising kids that launch Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator