Crockpot Grain Dinner
courtesy Chet's Crock
- 1/4 cup millet, uncooked
- 1/4 cup barley, uncooked
- 1/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped/li>
- 8 oz tomato sauce, salt free or reg
- 1 lb canned tomatoes -- chopped, drained, reserve liq
- 1 1/2 cup corn, canned or frozen drained
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 canned kidney beans, drained or any other beans, drained (This will yield 10 oz of beans)
Combine all ingredients in a crockpot. Add water to reserved tomato liquid to equal 2 1/2 cup. Stir into grain mixture. Cover and cook on low setting 8 hrs. Stir before serving. I just put all the dry ingredients in the crockpot the night before, in the morning all the wet ingredients and turn the crockpot on. By the time dinner rolls around, it is ready. This serves 8 as a side dish and 4-6 as a filling main course. You can use any combination of grains. Just use about 1 cupful altogether -- although I have used more then 1 cupful.
contributed to Chet's Crock by Carole W.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- A great way to save for your kids' college TDS Recommends
- Are there any good generic dog food brands?
- A financial safety net for single moms
- Keeping your kids well-clothed for less
- Fun recipes to keep the kids busy this summer
- Kids' parties: Keeping the expenses down while turning up the fun
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in May
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator