Crockpot Grain Dinner
courtesy Chet's Crock
- 1/4 cup millet, uncooked
- 1/4 cup barley, uncooked
- 1/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped/li>
- 8 oz tomato sauce, salt free or reg
- 1 lb canned tomatoes -- chopped, drained, reserve liq
- 1 1/2 cup corn, canned or frozen drained
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 canned kidney beans, drained or any other beans, drained (This will yield 10 oz of beans)
Combine all ingredients in a crockpot. Add water to reserved tomato liquid to equal 2 1/2 cup. Stir into grain mixture. Cover and cook on low setting 8 hrs. Stir before serving. I just put all the dry ingredients in the crockpot the night before, in the morning all the wet ingredients and turn the crockpot on. By the time dinner rolls around, it is ready. This serves 8 as a side dish and 4-6 as a filling main course. You can use any combination of grains. Just use about 1 cupful altogether -- although I have used more then 1 cupful.
contributed to Chet's Crock by Carole W.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- Snap up these 9 deals in August
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Choosing a guardian for your child
- 3 fun party ideas your nearly teen will love
- How much do kids need to know about the family budget?
- This week's Readers' Tips