by Angie Zalewski and Deana Ricks
SMART Ways to Save at the Pump
19 Ways to Save Gas
With gas prices sky high, here are some tips to save money on gas:
- Combine trips. Short, single errand trips burn the majority of gas and time.
- Get information by phone rather than driving around to different stores.
- Put your car in neutral with your foot on the brake when waiting at a long light. The engine will run more efficiently and use less gas than having it in "drive."
- Drive in non-rush hour traffic. Go into work early and leave early. This will save you time and gas money.
- Car pool to work or taking the kids to school. Just by carpooling with one neighbor, you will cut your gas bill in half.
- Lowering your speed from 70 mph to 55 mph will net you 20% more miles per gallon of gas.
- Drive at a steady pace. Accelerate and decelerate smoothly and avoid stomping on the gas or slamming on the brakes.
- If you have to wait for more than one minute, like at the bank drive-up teller, turn your engine off. If will cost less money to start your car than it does to run it for one minute.
More smart money saving ideas can be found in the Frugal Family Network Newsletter.
Take the Next Step
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy Are You Heading for Debt Trouble? A Simple Checklist And What You Can Do About It for FREE!