courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently bought a '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport and also a 85 Citation Camper (approx. 5,000 lbs). I had a tow brake put in and also an oil change before I started off on my first camping experience. About half way into my trip I was getting a thick black exhaust from my tail pipe when I went up hill. Needless to say I turned around and headed home. I'm at a loss as to why I had this problem. I am a novice and could use some expert help. Can you give me some insight into towing and a possible reason for the black exhaust?
Going up a hill pulling the camper put the car under a high load situation. The engine responded by giving more fuel. Your car may need to have a tune up and the MAP sensor replaced. On your way back home while you were driving on flat level ground was the car still pouring out black smoke? If not, then I think you've found the problem.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?