courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Just wanted to hear your view of synthetic oil. I have an '86 Crusade with 271 ,000 miles and have used Mobil One since 7,000 miles. The engine runs perfect and believe it or not, I still have the original transmission. I do use synthetic transmission fluid and the car is equipped with a transmission cooler. I also use synthetic Transmission fluid in the power steering and its still going strong. What are your thoughts?
I like synthetic oil as well. It seems to have better durability and heat resistance than natural oils. But, the key is to use it from new. You started at around 7,000 miles. That's okay. But to switch to synthetic around 50,000 or more really won't do you any good on the longevity of the car. I run Castrol full synthetic in my 32v Taurus. Car runs great!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?