courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Just wanted to hear your view of synthetic oil. I have an '86 Crusade with 271 ,000 miles and have used Mobil One since 7,000 miles. The engine runs perfect and believe it or not, I still have the original transmission. I do use synthetic transmission fluid and the car is equipped with a transmission cooler. I also use synthetic Transmission fluid in the power steering and its still going strong. What are your thoughts?
I like synthetic oil as well. It seems to have better durability and heat resistance than natural oils. But, the key is to use it from new. You started at around 7,000 miles. That's okay. But to switch to synthetic around 50,000 or more really won't do you any good on the longevity of the car. I run Castrol full synthetic in my 32v Taurus. Car runs great!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?