courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Just wanted to hear your view of synthetic oil. I have an '86 Crusade with 271 ,000 miles and have used Mobil One since 7,000 miles. The engine runs perfect and believe it or not, I still have the original transmission. I do use synthetic transmission fluid and the car is equipped with a transmission cooler. I also use synthetic Transmission fluid in the power steering and its still going strong. What are your thoughts?
I like synthetic oil as well. It seems to have better durability and heat resistance than natural oils. But, the key is to use it from new. You started at around 7,000 miles. That's okay. But to switch to synthetic around 50,000 or more really won't do you any good on the longevity of the car. I run Castrol full synthetic in my 32v Taurus. Car runs great!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?