The End of Boring Lunches
by Michele Larry Schad
Okay, another day, another dollar, another dull boring lunch. Wait, just because you brown bag it, doesn't mean that your lunch has to be boring. Are you concerned about a nutritious, low fat lunch? Here are a few ideas for putting some variety into your lunch, save money, and still keep your lunch a healthy meal.
First of all, when you make your low fat casserole, soup, or any other hot meal for dinner, place the leftovers in single serving containers. Put one in the refrigerator for lunch the next day and place the rest in the freezer for future use. If your workplace has a microwave, just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and lunch is ready. If you don t have a microwave, just heat in the morning and put in a thermal wide mouth thermos. (You could even put a turkey hot dog in hot water in the thermos!)
Here's another idea. How about putting lean turkey or ham on whole wheat bread? Add some lettuce, some pickles, and a little mustard. You'll have a great sandwich that tastes just like the delis. Bring some cut vegetables with a small dish of low-fat dip. Pack pretzels instead of chips. Add a couple of fig-newtons for dessert? Talk about a delicious and filling lunch! Don t forget your snack for the day though. Pack a few pieces of fruit, maybe some trail mix, or a low fat yogurt.
With all of the fast food restaurants out there, it's pretty easy to just go out to lunch. But most of the time, it's not too healthy and also very expensive. With these tips, you can eat healthy and be kind to your pocketbook.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Get creative in the kitchen and save #TDSPantryChallenge
- 7 ways to keep college costs in check
- Home remedies for common winter ailments
- Buying and selling toys on craigslist
- Hiding debts from your spouse
- Is it possible to stay at home with your kids?
- Homemade cat food
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- January bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- Raising kids that launch Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator