Super Summer Snacks 'n Fun
by Janine Lynn
Healthy, Inexpensive Snacks for Kids
Kids Summer Activies
Hurrah!! Summer holidays are here! Let's get on with the fun, with things you have around the house!
Wash, dry, and freeze berries, cherries, or seedless grapes in a sealed container. Enjoy on a hot day.
Dissolve one 85 g package of Jell-o powder in 1 C. boiling water. Stir in 1 1/4 C. juice. Pour into moulds and freeze.
Fill a small yoghurt container 2/3 full with juice or pop. Cap with lid and place in freezer for 1 1/2 hours. Then, mix with fork every 1/2 hour or so until to desired consistency.
Water-gun Target Shooting
Stand plastic bottles up on a wall, fence, box, or table, with ping pong balls or empty film vials set on top of each one. From behind a firing line 3 - 4 paces back, shoot water at targets.
Pour water into a cake or bread pan. Dip your bare feet or hands into water and make wet-prints on the sidewalk.
Splashy Sidewalk Painting
Use a large paint brush (or plant mister) to create pictures on the sidewalk using water mixed with a little paint powder, food coloring, or Kool-Aid powder.
Mix together 2 C. warm water, 1/4 C. good quality dish soap (Ie. - Dawn), a little food coloring or paint/Kool-Aid powder, and 2 Tbsp. glycerine or corn syrup. Use straws, funnels, whisks, small cookie cutters, etc. to make bubbles and more bubbles.
Dampen, pat down, and smoothen a small area of sand. Make a footprint in sand about 1/2" deep. Mix together 1 C. water and 2 1/4 C. plaster of Paris to thickness of a milkshake. Pour mixture to fill in footprint. Leave to dry for at least an hour Record date and name on back.
Neon Sidewalk Chalk
Mix together 3 Tbsp. plaster or Paris, 2 Tbsp. paint powder (bright color), and 1/4 C. water. Pour into 2 solid-stick deodorant lids greased with butter. Let dry for a half hour. Then, loosen sides and knock chalk out.
Make ball scoops by cutting two or more 1 litre (or 1 quart) plastic milk jugs in half horizontally. Toss a small ball back and forth to a partner, using only the scoop to catch and throw the ball.
Reprinted with permission from "Help! I'm Bored!", ISBN 0-9680809-0-1, $14.95 Cdn, 11.95 U.S. (Bluebell Cockle Shell Books)
Janine Lynn is a parent, author, and educator. Born and raised in Alberta, she is the author of "Help! I'm Bored! - Over 300 Children's Activities for Ages 2-12". She wrote this book because she wanted all of her favorite teaching ideas collaborated into one book. Find out more about "Help! I'm Bored!" at: Amazon or E-Mail Janine at email@example.com.
Take the Next Step
- For all things "Groceries & Food," please visit the Dollar Stretcher library section.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Smart Couponing and Grocery Budgeting.
Trending on TDS
- 13 ways to pull your kids away from technology this summer
- Family reunion food
- Baby toys you can make
- 9 tools for getting and staying organized
- Making ends meet as a single parent
- Kid friendly vacations on a tank of gas
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in July
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- 5 ideas for a kid-free mom cave
- In your 30s with kids? You need life insurance
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator