CV Boots Explained
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1991 Honda Accord. When it was in for service last month the tech stated that the CV boots were cracked. Do these need to be replaced soon? What does a CV boot do? How can I test the severity of the CV boot crack?
The Constant Velocity boot protects the CV joint. The CV joint is essentially the drive axle on front wheel drive cars. There really is no "severity" in cracked boots. They are either cracked or not. When they get cracked they let the grease and lubricants out of the joint and dirt and grit get in. This will eventually wear out the CV joint and cause it to fail.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?