Spicy Black Beans and Rice
contributed to Chet's Crock by WilowSwan
- 2 c dried black beans
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped celery
- 1 c chopped carrot
- 1 medium yellow or green sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbs dried crushed thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups veggie broth
- 4 c hot cooked rice
1. Rinse beans, place in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour. (Or omit simmering and soak beans in cold water overnight in a covered pan.) Drain beans.
2. In a 3 1/2, 4 or 5 quart slow cooker, put in everything but the rice.
3. Cover, cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. Discard bay leaves. If desired, mash beans slightly with a potato masher. Serve with hot cooked rice. Serves 8.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in September
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Get your kids involved with their school lunches
- 6 ways work-at-home moms can find temporary childcare
- Ask The Dollar Stretcher: Simple recipes for picky eaters? Video
- Financial tips for your college-bound student
- The perks of part-time work
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator