Spicy Black Beans and Rice
contributed to Chet's Crock by WilowSwan
- 2 c dried black beans
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped celery
- 1 c chopped carrot
- 1 medium yellow or green sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbs dried crushed thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups veggie broth
- 4 c hot cooked rice
1. Rinse beans, place in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour. (Or omit simmering and soak beans in cold water overnight in a covered pan.) Drain beans.
2. In a 3 1/2, 4 or 5 quart slow cooker, put in everything but the rice.
3. Cover, cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. Discard bay leaves. If desired, mash beans slightly with a potato masher. Serve with hot cooked rice. Serves 8.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- Financial issues for Alzheimer's families
- How to become a work at home mom Video
- Is Amazon Subscribe & Save worth it?
- Prom party decorations for less
- Should you pay for your kids' college?
- How to reduce the cost of divorce
- Surviving as a single mom
- Frugal Easter basket ideas
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- March bargains in supermarket and beyond
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in March
- 5 types of freebies you can snag today
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator