by Doris Dobkins
My Story: Achieving Financial Goals
My Story: Why I Set Goals
Setting Successful Goals
What are your financial goals? Quick! Everyone reading this should be able to state them clearly and precisely within the next 60 seconds. If you can't do that then you've missed the whole boat.
So do you want to be rich? How do you define rich? Do you want a secure retirement? What amount of money equals "secure"? Do you want to enjoy your money now and deal with the future when it gets here or do you want to spend some time now, planning for the future?
Before you can even think about investing, budgeting or personal finance, you must determine your personal financial goals. Why? Because a goal sets the tone for your financial direction and gives you a foundation from which to base your financial decisions.
If your goal is to have no debt (which I define as true "financial freedom") then your plan would focus on paying off your mortgage and all other debts even at the expense of saving for retirement.
If your goal is to be wealthy and have a lot of money at retirement, then you'll probably want to focus on getting rid of unsecured debt, maximizing your retirement contributions and possibly leveraging your assets to increase your net worth.
Where are your values? What are you doing with what you make? What should you be doing now to get where you want to be?
There's no reason to delay starting any longer. If you only have $10 extra a month, that's a start. Whether you invest it or use it towards paying off a bill, that's up to you. There's no rights or wrongs as long as you have a plan and are following it.
Doris Dobkins is a money saving expert, author and speaker and has helped thousands of people find ways to save money and get out of debt.
Take the Next Step
- Are you getting the best CD rate? Use our simple tool to find out. It's completely private, extrememly simple and you'll know what rate is available to you in seconds!
- Compare money market rates with our best rate finder. Don't let your bank pay you less than you deserve. It only takes a minute and your privacy is complete protected.
Trending on TDS
- How are relationships affected by money?
- The emotions behind shopping
- Avoiding your parents' debts
- Selling your gold without getting ripped off
- Tips for radical cost cutting
- Video: What are contra-economics?
- Responding to frugal envy
- How to have more money than a lottery winner
- How to create a budget that works for you
- 6 popular and free money-saving apps
- 5 money lessons learned from Monopoly
- 4 signs it's time to dump a stock
- 6 klutzy steps to debt mismanagement
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal