Front Wheel Noises
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I'm a reader from the UK. Great advice! I have a car with front wheel drive. Recently, I had the tires changed. Since then, I've been getting a squeaking noise from the wheels (or that area). The noise gets louder the more the car is driven and is very noticeable. The intensity also changes depending on how far I turn the steering wheel. If the wheel is kept central, then the squeaking disappears. I have had a professional check that the wheel bearings and brakes and they say that they are just fine. Could it be the CV joints are going to die on me soon? The axle nuts get very warm after a short drive too (say 2 miles). Is this normal?
It would sound to me that your front axle or hub bearings are shot. You didn't mention what year or make, so it would be hard to describe what they look like. The older style would have 2 tapered bearings (an inner and an outer). The newer style would have a bearing (or hub) assembly. The first type is the cheapest (but involves more work to replace), the second is more expensive but is relatively easy to replace. Unfortunately, you don't have a choice. Whatever your car calls for, is what you must use.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- For more money-saving auto articles, check out The Dollar Stretcher Auto Section.
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. Compare them now to find the best one for you.
- Are you getting the best auto insurance rate? See how much you could save with one click. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, get all the facts. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?