Front Wheel Noises
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I'm a reader from the UK. Great advice! I have a car with front wheel drive. Recently, I had the tires changed. Since then, I've been getting a squeaking noise from the wheels (or that area). The noise gets louder the more the car is driven and is very noticeable. The intensity also changes depending on how far I turn the steering wheel. If the wheel is kept central, then the squeaking disappears. I have had a professional check that the wheel bearings and brakes and they say that they are just fine. Could it be the CV joints are going to die on me soon? The axle nuts get very warm after a short drive too (say 2 miles). Is this normal?
It would sound to me that your front axle or hub bearings are shot. You didn't mention what year or make, so it would be hard to describe what they look like. The older style would have 2 tapered bearings (an inner and an outer). The newer style would have a bearing (or hub) assembly. The first type is the cheapest (but involves more work to replace), the second is more expensive but is relatively easy to replace. Unfortunately, you don't have a choice. Whatever your car calls for, is what you must use.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?