Front Wheel Noises
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I'm a reader from the UK. Great advice! I have a car with front wheel drive. Recently, I had the tires changed. Since then, I've been getting a squeaking noise from the wheels (or that area). The noise gets louder the more the car is driven and is very noticeable. The intensity also changes depending on how far I turn the steering wheel. If the wheel is kept central, then the squeaking disappears. I have had a professional check that the wheel bearings and brakes and they say that they are just fine. Could it be the CV joints are going to die on me soon? The axle nuts get very warm after a short drive too (say 2 miles). Is this normal?
It would sound to me that your front axle or hub bearings are shot. You didn't mention what year or make, so it would be hard to describe what they look like. The older style would have 2 tapered bearings (an inner and an outer). The newer style would have a bearing (or hub) assembly. The first type is the cheapest (but involves more work to replace), the second is more expensive but is relatively easy to replace. Unfortunately, you don't have a choice. Whatever your car calls for, is what you must use.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- For more articles automobiles, check out The Dollar Stretcher Auto Section
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, check out Edmunds.com
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them.
- Save on Auto Insurance. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Money-Saving Auto Tips" board today!
Also in Home
- Rent a garden plot
- Renewing bathroom sinks
- Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Cheap sofa reupholstery
- Free landscape borders Slideshow
- Homemade floor cleaners
- 5 ways to prepare your garden for spring
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?