Carmen's Slow Cooker Chili
Courtesy of Carmen
- 1 to 2 pounds of ground meat
- 1(14 oz) can tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) can of chili beans
- Seasoning mix
For ground meat: I have used beef, pork, deer. Anything will work and will come out tasting like chili. Or don't use meat and increase beans and tomatoes.
For tomatoes: I use organic canned, whatever I can get. I don't like chunky tomatoes so I puree them before I add them. But anything you like will do.
For beans: I just found Muir organic chili beans which are very good. I use a large can, or two small cans. Any chili beans will do.
Seasoning mix: I use Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit. It comes in a little brown paper bag in the seasoning isle. It is really just a lot of chili powder, about 1/2 cup. Plus some salt, some corn flour to thicken the chili, and some cayenne pepper. Sometimes I use the cayenne sometimes not. Depends and how much my husband wants to suffer the next day.
Brown the meat, put in slow-cooker. Put tomatoes, beans, and seasoning in slow-cooker. Add water to cover the top, or more if you like it a little more soupy. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or high for 2-3. I sometimes let this recipe go for 8-12 hours depending on when I get home. It doesn't hurt it, and I think the flavors mix together more the longer you cook it.
This is my favorite recipe, usually make it twice a month. We have leftovers for lunch and for a quick meal if we are in a hurry.
Buy groceries, earn cash back at Checkout 51
You can add and experiment with the basic recipe all you want. I make do with whatever I have. Sometimes I put some pretty weird stuff in it and it still comes out great. I haven't had a failure yet.
Fabulous slow-cooker recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Take the Next Step
- It's tough raising kids today! You need every time and money saving idea you can find. That's why you'll want to get our free weekly Dollar Stretcher for Parents newsletter. You'll find great ideas designed just for parents that will help your family 'live better...for less'! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Why pay someone to mix simple ingredients? Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Food Mixes and Staples.
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!
Money-Saving Tools for Families
Trending This Week
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Ways to reduce the financial and emotional costs of a divorce
- Surprising reasons to have family meal time
- Will your family be taken care of if something happens to you?
- How to teach kids about compound interest
- This week's Readers' Tips