Carmen's Slow Cooker Chili
Courtesy of Carmen
- 1 to 2 pounds of ground meat
- 1(14 oz) can tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) can of chili beans
- Seasoning mix
For ground meat: I have used beef, pork, deer. Anything will work and will come out tasting like chili. Or don't use meat and increase beans and tomatoes.
For tomatoes: I use organic canned, whatever I can get. I don't like chunky tomatoes so I puree them before I add them. But anything you like will do.
For beans: I just found Muir organic chili beans which are very good. I use a large can, or two small cans. Any chili beans will do.
Seasoning mix: I use Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit. It comes in a little brown paper bag in the seasoning isle. It is really just a lot of chili powder, about 1/2 cup. Plus some salt, some corn flour to thicken the chili, and some cayenne pepper. Sometimes I use the cayenne sometimes not. Depends and how much my husband wants to suffer the next day.
Brown the meat, put in slow-cooker. Put tomatoes, beans, and seasoning in slow-cooker. Add water to cover the top, or more if you like it a little more soupy. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or high for 2-3. I sometimes let this recipe go for 8-12 hours depending on when I get home. It doesn't hurt it, and I think the flavors mix together more the longer you cook it.
This is my favorite recipe, usually make it twice a month. We have leftovers for lunch and for a quick meal if we are in a hurry.
You can add and experiment with the basic recipe all you want. I make do with whatever I have. Sometimes I put some pretty weird stuff in it and it still comes out great. I haven't had a failure yet.
Fabulous slow-cooker recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- Get creative in the kitchen and save #TDSPantryChallenge
- 7 ways to keep college costs in check
- Home remedies for common winter ailments
- Buying and selling toys on craigslist
- Hiding debts from your spouse
- Is it possible to stay at home with your kids?
- Homemade cat food
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- January bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- Raising kids that launch Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator