Windfalls of Cash
by Doris Dobkins
How Much of an Emergency Fund Do I Need?
6 Squirrely Ways to Save
How to Grow Your Very Own Money Tree
Recently I got a windfall of cash. It was from my good friend the IRS. Maybe you received a windfall, too sometime this year.
Now you can probably guess what I'm going to ask next, but I'm going to ask it anyway!
What do you do when you receive some unexpected cash?
There were about 32 things I was tempted to spend the money on. It took every bit of willpower and effort to race to the local Schwab office (and not get a ticket) and hand that check over to them for my ROTH IRA.
Unfortunately, most people spend their windfalls, which are like cash in their pocket. But instead of a shopping spree, I ask you to consider another option, increasing your Net Worth!
There are basically three things that a person can do with windfalls of money:
1. Pay off Debt (increases your net worth)
2. Invest (increases your net worth)
3. Buy something (decreases your net worth as soon as the item depreciates)
Have you ever thought of your cash windfalls as an opportunity to increase your Net Worth? If not, it's time to go back to your financial goals that you have set for yourself. Every dollar you spend is going to get you closer or farther from your goal. Windfalls are a great way to increase your Net Worth and boost your progress towards reaching your financial goals.
So the next time you get a cash windfall, think twice about what you really want to do with it. Then before you can change your mind, put it where it will do YOU the most good.
Doris Dobkins is a money saving expert, author and speaker and has helped thousands of people find ways to save money and get out of debt.
Take the Next Step
- Make sure you're getting the best CD rate. Use our simple CD tool to find out. It's completely private, easy to use and you'll know what rate is available to you in seconds!
- Get the interest you deserve! Compare money market and savings account rates with our best rate finder. It only takes a minute and your privacy is completely protected.