Simple Family Field Trips
by Deborah Taylor-Hough
Why I Buy Membership to My Local Museum
Fun Factory Tours
5 Travel Costs to Avoid on a Road Trip
Family field trips are a simple, fun and fairly inexpensive educational enrichment activity you can enjoy regularly with your children.
Many manufacturing plants offer free tours to families or small groups, and any free samples given out make great souvenirs when on vacation. Call ahead to find out about tour availability.
Field trips to local attractions such as zoos or aquariums can be expensive, but purchasing an annual family pass pays for itself in just a couple trips. Knowing you can come back again and again, frees your family to thoroughly enjoy themselves without feeling the need to hurry and see everything in one day to get your money's worth out of the admission price. Return to the same site whenever you want a family outing, and then buy a pass to a different educational attraction next year.
If your family enjoys attending live performances, check for free concerts, plays and other cultural events in local parks during the summer months.
You can also contact college or community performance groups (drama, ballet, orchestra, etc.) to see if they'll allow you to watch them rehearse for free.
Many local theater groups need volunteer ushers for their live performances. Volunteering in this manner is an excellent way for the older members of your family to gain free admission to a wide variety of cultural events, plus it provides a useful service to the local arts community.
Deborah Taylor-Hough is the author of the bestselling Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month and A Simple Choice: a practical guide for saving your time, money and sanity. She also edits the Simple Times email newsletter. To subscribe, visit Debi online at: thesimplemom.wordpress.com
Take the Next Step
- A deal a day great things to do, eat, see, & buy in your area. Shop Groupon.com today!
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit "A Frugal Lifestyle" board today!
Discuss "Day Trips" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in September
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
Rehab your poor financial habits before tackling the bad behavior of your kids.
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Get your kids involved with their school lunches
- 6 ways work-at-home moms can find temporary childcare
- Ask The Dollar Stretcher: Simple recipes for picky eaters? Video
- Financial tips for your college-bound student
- The perks of part-time work
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator