Replacing a Parking Brake Cable
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We recently moved to a new city and we need to get our parking brake fixed. To make a long story short, our car was towed and the towing company snapped the cables towing the car. We can't get them to pay for it since we don't have proof. We have no idea how much this type of repair costs. We got a quote from a national chain auto place but thought it was too high.
Assuming that both cables were snapped, (we are not sure whether it's one or two at this point), how much labour time would it take to fix? I am thinking of calling several shops and asking for an estimate and approximate labour time. Is it best to go to the place with the lowest estimate? Can I get auto repair places to be firm on a quote and not go over it?
For the record, we drive a 5 Speed 1991 Toyota Tercel. Fixing the parking brake is imperative with a standard car, especially when we have to go up hills! Any tips would be much appreciated. I would like to be well informed before I call the repair shops!
Lisa of Halifax, Canada
I would say not more than 2 hours labor to replace the cables. Usually, there is one main cable that runs from the break lever to the rear of the car where it pulls on another cable that activates the break. Usually they don't break together.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- For more articles automobiles, check out The Dollar Stretcher Auto Section
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, check out Edmunds.com
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them.
- Save on Auto Insurance. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Money-Saving Auto Tips" board today!
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?