Replacing a Parking Brake Cable
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We recently moved to a new city and we need to get our parking brake fixed. To make a long story short, our car was towed and the towing company snapped the cables towing the car. We can't get them to pay for it since we don't have proof. We have no idea how much this type of repair costs. We got a quote from a national chain auto place but thought it was too high.
Assuming that both cables were snapped, (we are not sure whether it's one or two at this point), how much labour time would it take to fix? I am thinking of calling several shops and asking for an estimate and approximate labour time. Is it best to go to the place with the lowest estimate? Can I get auto repair places to be firm on a quote and not go over it?
For the record, we drive a 5 Speed 1991 Toyota Tercel. Fixing the parking brake is imperative with a standard car, especially when we have to go up hills! Any tips would be much appreciated. I would like to be well informed before I call the repair shops!
Lisa of Halifax, Canada
I would say not more than 2 hours labor to replace the cables. Usually, there is one main cable that runs from the break lever to the rear of the car where it pulls on another cable that activates the break. Usually they don't break together.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, check out Edmunds.com .
- Save on Auto Insurance. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?