Dropping Oil Pressure
by Ask Bob The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1989 Chevy Van with 149,000 miles on it. The oil pressure gauge shows normal when I first start-up. But once I'm running for a few miles, whenever I slow down (for a stop light or whatever), the indication drops into the red. But it rises somewhat when I accelerate. If I keep running, it shows just out of the red zone, but whenever I slow down (after warming up), it drops into the red (or all the way down). I checked and the oil level at the dipstick is normal. How can I tell if the gauge is faulty of if I really do have an oil pressure problem? Thanks.
To me it sounds like your oil pump is shot (or at least the pressure regulator, a spring and a ball bearing).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?