Make Your Own Cleaners!
by Lisa Van den Boomen
Just 4 Ingredients
Homemade Cleaning Supplies
Vinegar Kills Bacteria, Mold, and Germs
There is one basic cleaning product I make which I use from countertops to the bathroom. It has a strong smell but cleans very well!
Extra Strength Multi-Purpose Cleaner
1/4 cup baking soda
3/4 cup household ammonia
1/2 cup white vinegar
1gallon (16 cups) warm water
2 drops of food colouring *optional*
Mix all ingredients and store. Pour into spray bottle when needed.
1/2 tsp liquid soap (detergent)
3 Tbsp. Vinegar
2 cups water
1 drop blue food colouring (optional)
Blend well and store in spray bottle.
Vinegar Window Cleaner
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 gallon warm water (16 cups)
Just mix and scrub. When washing windows, using newspaper is best :)
1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax
1 cup salt
Blend and store in container.
Dust and Furniture Polish
This is so easy to make, and it works!!!
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
Pour oil and lemon juice into a squirt bottle or jar. Stir to combine. To use, dip dust cloth or rag into oil, blot the oil by folding the cloth together, and then dust your furniture. Leaves a beautiful finish!
Dishes & Your Dishwasher
To help with odours from your dishwasher, add 1/2 cup of vinegar.
Is your dishwasher dirty and grimy? Make sure dishwasher is completely empty. Add "Tang" drink crystals where you would normally place dishwasher detergent. Run with "light" cycle. Your dishwasher will be spotless! Do this about twice a year.
Have you run out of dishwasher detergent? Use 1 Tbsp. of Baking Soda with 1 Tbsp. of Borax and use as you would regular dishwasher powder! If you will be using this mixture on a regular basis, add vinegar to the rinse cycle every few loads.
1/2 Cup Pine Cleaner (or Lysol)
1 1/2 Cups of water
Thick Roll of Paper Towel (Such as Bounty)
Use a canister that holds a half of a roll of paper towels. (You can find these containers at Wal-Mart) Cut the roll of towels in half, put it in the container and remove the cardboard insert. Mix the cleaner and water in a cup and pour it over the towels. (Try not to make it sudsy) Let it sit over night till all the towels are saturated. Use as you would name brand disinfectant wipes.
Miscellaneous Cleaning Tips
Toilet Bowls: Add 1 cup vinegar and let sit overnight. Scrub and flush!
Add 1 Tbsp of household ammonia. Let sit overnight. Scrub and flush!
Tiles: Use washing soda and scrub on tiles. Rinse. That's it! Now you have clean shiny tiles!
Lisa Van den Boomen currently teaches workshops on making your own bath and body products and food gifts. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Take the Next Step:
- Visit our Pinterest board for More Homemade Cleaning Recipes
Discuss "Fall Scented Air Freshener" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?