Can't Restart His Camry
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1994 Toyota Camry with 89,000 miles. The car starts fine in the morning, but not RIGHT after I drive it. I usually have to wait 20-40 minutes before it will start and go successfully. The dealer thought it was an electrical problem so I had my ignition wires and the distributor rotor and cap replaced. I was told that since it doesn't have a carburetor, the problem probably isn't vapor lock. Anyway, it still isn't fixed. Its really getting annoying.
Does the car start just lack performance? If so, it may be that your catalytic converter is causing the problem. It may be closing down when it gets hot and limiting the amount of exhaust gas that can flow through it (similar to the old potatoes in the exhaust pipe trick we used to do when we were kids). Have your mechanic check the converter to see if it is functioning correctly. The exit temperature should be hotter than the inlet temperature.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- Top ways to save big oin furniture
- Winning the war against invading ants
- Restoring brass fixtures
- How to keep neighbor dogs from using your yard as an outhouse
- How to revive old yard tools
- Cleaning a greasy driveway
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?