Colonial Hot Pot
Courtesy of Tinkk
- 2 lbs. chuck steak, cubed (or use lean stewing beef)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tsp instant beef broth
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 potatoes, pared and sliced
- 8 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 acorn squash, split and seed (peeled if desired)
- 2 tbs butter
Trim all excess fat from beef. Shake cubes, divide up and do 1/2 at a time or less, with flour in a plastic bag to coat well.
Combine tomato juice and instant beef broth in a small saucepan; heat just to boiling; remove from heat.
Combine parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a cup. Layer vegetables and meat into a slow cooker this way; Half of each of potatoes, onions and beef, sprinkling each layer lightly with seasoning mixture. Repeat with remaining potatoes, onions, beef and seasonings.
Cut each squash half into 6 slices; pare; arrange on top. Pour hot tomato juice mixture over; dot with butter, cover.
Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: eight servings.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- The 11 best bargains at the checkout counter in May
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Keeping kids well-clothed for next to nothing
- Calculating how much life insurance you need
- Is your frugal lifestyle depriving your children?
- Inexpensive gifts for the graduate