Colonial Hot Pot
Courtesy of Tinkk
- 2 lbs. chuck steak, cubed (or use lean stewing beef)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tsp instant beef broth
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 potatoes, pared and sliced
- 8 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 acorn squash, split and seed (peeled if desired)
- 2 tbs butter
Trim all excess fat from beef. Shake cubes, divide up and do 1/2 at a time or less, with flour in a plastic bag to coat well.
Combine tomato juice and instant beef broth in a small saucepan; heat just to boiling; remove from heat.
Combine parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a cup. Layer vegetables and meat into a slow cooker this way; Half of each of potatoes, onions and beef, sprinkling each layer lightly with seasoning mixture. Repeat with remaining potatoes, onions, beef and seasonings.
Cut each squash half into 6 slices; pare; arrange on top. Pour hot tomato juice mixture over; dot with butter, cover.
Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: eight servings.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Where to find the best deals in February
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- When your teen is ready for their first car
- Save over $2000 in baby's first year
- Get rid of lice for good!
- Ways to avoid the high cost of a divorce
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator