Ford Explorer Starting Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1991 Ford Explorer, 4 door, 2 wheel drive. Now that it is getting cooler I have noticed problems starting in the morning. The First and worst time was the morning after it got down to about 38-39 degrees. I had to try several times to crank it but nothing, just turning over. Finally it started after the 6th or 7th try. After running it for about 3 min. I shut it off, and then it restarted immediately. And did not have any problems all day.
The next morning it was cool but not as bad, only took 2 tries to crank. I have noticed since I purchased the vehicle during the summer that the first crank in the morning generally took one to two seconds. longer than any other starting during the day, which is immediately on turning the key one time.
You may have a leaky fuel pressure regulator. Try this for me and see if it helps. Before you start your car, turn the key on and sit for about 5 or so seconds (while the dash board initializes). This sends a signal to the fuel pump to prime the system up. Then, after the 5 seconds, try to start the car.
I have seen this happen on many Fords. You see, when you go to crank the engine, all power is diverted to the starter and ignition system. The fuel pump may not have pumped up enough pressure yet. Try it and let me know.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?