Have you tried all ten?
10 Common Uses for Baking Soda
by Rachel Paxton
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent
50 Uses for Vinegar
Cleaning Stove Top Burners
- Make a paste of baking soda and water and rub on insect bites to relieve itching.
- Remove coffee and tea stains by scrubbing pots or cups with baking soda and a plastic scouring pad.
- Add 1/3 cup baking soda to a wash cycle as a bleach booster or to the rinse cycle for cleaner smelling laundry.
- To remove black scuff marks from floor, rub them with a paste of baking soda and water.
- Clean fiberglass showers and tubs with baking soda sprinkled on a sponge. Sponge clean and wipe dry.
- Soak sour smelling dishcloths and sponges in water and baking soda solution.
- Use a solution of water and baking soda to clean and deodorize the inside of your microwave.
- Put a few spoonfuls in a cup of water in the microwave, boil for two minutes, then wipe down the inside with a sponge.
- Sprinkle a little baking soda into the laundry hamper to minimize odors.
- Remove crayon marks from walls by scrubbing gently with an old toothbrush and a paste of baking soda and water.
Rachel Paxton is a freelance writer and mom of five. For recipes, cleaning tips, gardening, frugal living, holiday hints, and more, visit her site and sign up for her weekly newsletter at CreativeHomemaking.com.
Take the Next Step:
- Want to start making your own kitchen cleaners? We have plenty of recipes in the TDS library to get you started.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 4 ways to pay off your mortgage earlier
- How much does it cost to cool your home?
- Monthly dishwasher maintenance that can help you save
- Natural spider control
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?