10 Common Uses for Baking Soda
by Rachel Paxton
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent
7 Uses for Baking Soda
Cleaning Stove Top Burners
- Make a paste of baking soda and water and rub on insect bites to relieve itching.
- Remove coffee and tea stains by scrubbing pots or cups with baking soda and a plastic scouring pad.
- Add 1/3 cup baking soda to a wash cycle as a bleach booster or to the rinse cycle for cleaner smelling laundry.
- To remove black scuff marks from floor, rub them with a paste of baking soda and water.
- Clean fiberglass showers and tubs with baking soda sprinkled on a sponge. Sponge clean and wipe dry.
- Soak sour smelling dishcloths and sponges in water and baking soda solution.
- Use a solution of water and baking soda to clean and deodorize the inside of your microwave.
- Put a few spoonfuls in a cup of water in the microwave, boil for two minutes, then wipe down the inside with a sponge.
- Sprinkle a little baking soda into the laundry hamper to minimize odors.
- Remove crayon marks from walls by scrubbing gently with an old toothbrush and a paste of baking soda and water.
Rachel Paxton is a freelance writer and mom of five. For recipes, cleaning tips, gardening, frugal living, holiday hints, and more, visit her site and sign up for her weekly newsletter at www.creativehomemaking.com
Take the Next Step:
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
Discuss "The Magical Baking Soda" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?