10 Common Uses for Baking Soda
by Rachel Paxton
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent
7 Uses for Baking Soda
Cleaning Stove Top Burners
- Make a paste of baking soda and water and rub on insect bites to relieve itching.
- Remove coffee and tea stains by scrubbing pots or cups with baking soda and a plastic scouring pad.
- Add 1/3 cup baking soda to a wash cycle as a bleach booster or to the rinse cycle for cleaner smelling laundry.
- To remove black scuff marks from floor, rub them with a paste of baking soda and water.
- Clean fiberglass showers and tubs with baking soda sprinkled on a sponge. Sponge clean and wipe dry.
- Soak sour smelling dishcloths and sponges in water and baking soda solution.
- Use a solution of water and baking soda to clean and deodorize the inside of your microwave.
- Put a few spoonfuls in a cup of water in the microwave, boil for two minutes, then wipe down the inside with a sponge.
- Sprinkle a little baking soda into the laundry hamper to minimize odors.
- Remove crayon marks from walls by scrubbing gently with an old toothbrush and a paste of baking soda and water.
Rachel Paxton is a freelance writer and mom of five. For recipes, cleaning tips, gardening, frugal living, holiday hints, and more, visit her site and sign up for her weekly newsletter at www.creativehomemaking.com
Take the Next Step:
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
Discuss "The Magical Baking Soda" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Also in Home
- Choosing the best driveway for your home and budget
- 13 ways to remove odors naturally
- Vertical gardening in small spaces
- The $150 bathroom redo
- Removing weeds and grasses
- Quality paint at bargain prices
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?