Heating a Previa Van
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '92 Previa Van. For some time now whenever you switch from inside air to outside air (AC to Heating) , it wouldn't open/close all the way and then the fan would not blow air. If you switched it back and forth then it often would then start to give good air flow. Now it will not blow air with any force behind it. I can feel the cold air coming out if AC is on or heat if heater is on, however will not really blow.
I have a sense that there is some kind of vacuum lock or something that won't release and then allow the fan to blow the air. Got any ideas? Will it cost me an arm and a leg to repair it? I already gave one each last time I took it in to a dealer. My son is a good mechanic of sorts and could do the job if it wasn't too involved.
Usually the vents are controlled by vacuum diverter valves. I would guess that one of these has failed. I hope your son is a contortionist, because they are all located up behind the dash board and are usually back breakers to get at.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?