I have a drywall ceiling above my patio deck that had a plaster-like texture. The texture was all falling off, so I scraped it clean and painted it with a white outside paint. I have found white texture paint and would like to put some texture back on the ceiling. The problem is that this paint is for interior use only. Can you put interior paint outside if it is going over a coat of exterior paint? I can't find any ready-made ceiling texture paint for outdoors.
TD from California, MD
Most of the textured surfaces you see outdoors are stucco, a Portland cement-based texture coating that is suitable for inside or outside use. The plaster-like texture paints, though, are not rugged enough to withstand outside exposure. Exterior paints have certain qualities that allow them to stand the rigors of the weather... chemically-enhanced mildew resistance, moisture resistance and sunlight resistance. Texture paints tend to give a soft surface with some porosity and virtually no mildew resistance.
Since stucco is not designed to adhere to drywall, I wouldn't recommend using it for your application. However, all is not lost. Apply your interior texture paint... but once it is completely dry apply a coat or two of exterior paint right over the top of it! You will still have the attractive texture, but the exterior paint will act as a barrier to the limited exposure to the weather your ceiling will have. Then you have all bases covered... and the ceiling!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?