Favorite Frugal Resources
Needed: Your Favorite Frugal Books, Sites, Magazines, and Lists
I'm developing an online reference on frugal living for public libraries. It should include the best books, sites, magazines, e-mail lists, and organizations. You name it! I'd really like to know what sources Dollar Stretcher readers rely on the most. I have my own favorites, but what works for me may not work for others, and there are often regional sources.
A Good Discount on Magazines
My favorite web site to order magazines is discountmagazines.com because you can get many news stand magazines for under $12.00 for a year. They also offer "members" special deals throughout the year. The only catch is your first order has to be like 5 magazines, but after that you can order them one at a time. It also takes a couple of months for them to start arriving. They also work with you on doing gift subscriptions.
A Few of My Favorite Things
A list of resources:
Ivillage has Good Resources
I would like to share my favorite sources for frugal living (besides Dollar Stretcher) with the person developing an online reference for libraries.
I am a Community Leader of the "Savers Circle" Message board on IVillage. We share ideas for saving money as well as encouraging others to live frugally and build up their savings. The URL is: http://www.ivillage.com/ There are other money-saving ideas boards on IVillage's Moneylife channel ivillage.com/money/boards/ such as Frugal Kitchen and Frugal Gifts and Celebrations.
Books to Check Out
My favorite financial resources are:
- Debt-Proof Living by Mary Hunt
- The Complete Tightwad Gazette books by Amy Dacyczyn
Good Prices on Books, CD's, & Videos
Favorite website to purchase books, CDs and videos is half.com. I have even found hardcover books that are out of print and I usually purchased them for a very low price. The other nice thing about this site is that you can re-sell items you purchase when you are finished with them, plus you can sell items from around your house that you no longer need or want. And, the customer service of this site is the best I've experienced on-line.
Take the Next Step:
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?