courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I turned my overdrive switch off and I was driving, my car down shifted and it seems like it is not going into gear, it drives better when the overdrive is on. Can I get better gas mileage with the overdrive system off, and why does it hesitate when the overdrive system is off?
In simple terms, over drive is like a fourth gear. When you turn it off, then there are only 3. There are some situations (like towing or going up a gradual incline) that the car should automatically downshift but it does not. For normal driving, it is recommended that you leave the transmission in over drive mode. This will result in the best fuel economy.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?