courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I turned my overdrive switch off and I was driving, my car down shifted and it seems like it is not going into gear, it drives better when the overdrive is on. Can I get better gas mileage with the overdrive system off, and why does it hesitate when the overdrive system is off?
In simple terms, over drive is like a fourth gear. When you turn it off, then there are only 3. There are some situations (like towing or going up a gradual incline) that the car should automatically downshift but it does not. For normal driving, it is recommended that you leave the transmission in over drive mode. This will result in the best fuel economy.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.