courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I turned my overdrive switch off and I was driving, my car down shifted and it seems like it is not going into gear, it drives better when the overdrive is on. Can I get better gas mileage with the overdrive system off, and why does it hesitate when the overdrive system is off?
In simple terms, over drive is like a fourth gear. When you turn it off, then there are only 3. There are some situations (like towing or going up a gradual incline) that the car should automatically downshift but it does not. For normal driving, it is recommended that you leave the transmission in over drive mode. This will result in the best fuel economy.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?